Anywhere from 34-74% of people ages 30-50 have one or more chipped teeth. While falls or accidents, biting hard objects, playing sports without a mouthguard, and grinding or clenching your teeth are all common causes of damage, some of your favorite foods can also cause teeth to chip or crack. To prevent a painful dental emergency from ruining your day, be careful when eating the following foods that can chip teeth or avoid them all together.
Foods To Watch Out For
Even if you keep up with your oral hygiene by brushing and flossing every day, certain foods can still damage your teeth if eaten incorrectly. Some foods to avoid or be extra cautious about eating include:
- Corn on the cob since the bottom edges of the top teeth have less tooth enamel and are thinner and weaker
- Hard candy, ice cubes, and popcorn kernels which cancause hairline cracks to form in the tooth enamel
- Beef jerky because the repetitive motion of chewing can ultimately lead to chipped or broken teeth
- Hard breads such a pretzels, biscotti, and baguettes
- Fruits and vegetables with large pits such as peaches, olives, and cherries
- Nuts and seeds if you don’t chew them slowly and carefully or use your teeth to crack the shells
What to Do If You Chip a Tooth
Even if you’re being extra careful while eating these foods, accidents happen. If you chip or break your tooth, follow these steps to protect your teeth from further damage:
- Rinse with warm water to clear away blood or debris in your mouth.
- Apply an ice pack to the injured area to alleviate any pain or swelling.
- Take over-the-counter pain medication to ease discomfort or inflammation.
- See a dentist as soon as possible to avoid further issues
By avoiding or being extra careful when eating the above foods, you can prevent a potentially expensive emergency dental visit to fix your chipped teeth. If you end up chipping a tooth anyway, call your dentist as soon as possible to ensure your teeth stay healthy, beautiful, and right where they belong!
About the Practice
When you schedule a dental appointment with Littleton Dental Studio, you’ll find a friendly, talented staff of oral health professionals ready to care for you and your family. Dr. Cale Beasley and team provide a range of restorative, preventive, and cosmetic services to help beautify the smiles of their patients. If you chip or break a tooth, they offer several options such as veneers, crowns, and fillings to fix your smile. To learn what foods can crack your teeth or how Dr. Cale Beasley can fix them for you, call the office at (720) 728-0125 or visit their website.